Wrist Pain Relief Woodland Hills
Wrist pain is any pain or discomfort in the wrist.
Causes of Wrist Pain
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a common cause of wrist pain. You may feel aching, burning, numbness, or tingling in your palm, wrist, thumbs, or fingers. The thumb muscle can become weak, making it difficult to grasp things. Wrist pain may even extend upward to your elbow. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve gets compressed at the wrist because of swelling and a thickening of the connective tissue sheath that surrounds the wrist. Such swelling can occur if you:
- Perform repetitive movements with your wrist such as typing on a computer keyboard, using a computer mouse, playing racquetball or handball, sewing, painting, writing, or using a vibrating tool.
- Are pregnant, menopausal, or overweight.
- Have diabetes, premenstrual syndrome, an underactive thyroid, or rheumatoid arthritis.
Wrist pain with bruising and swelling is often associated with and caused by a traumatic injury. Other common injuries include a sprained wrist, strained, tendonitis and bursitis.
Broken Wrist Bones
The signs of a possible broken bone include deformed joints and an inability to move the wrist, hand, or a finger.
Arthritis is another common cause of wrist pain, swelling, and stiffness.
The signs of an infection include redness and warmth of the wrist, fever above 100°F, and recent illnesses.
Other common causes of wrist pain include:
- Gout which occurs when you produce too much uric acid, a waste product. Uric acid, which should be excreted in the urine, can remain in the form of crystals in your wrist joints thus causing wrist pain.
- Pseudogout occurs when calcium deposits in your joints (usually the wrists or knees), cause pain, redness, and swelling.
How Your Woodland Hills Chiropractor Can Provide Wrist Pain Relief
Elite Sports Medicine, as a uniquely qualified Woodland Hills chiropractor, looks at your overall health, focusing not only on providing wrist pain relief, but also on your lifestyle including behavior, diet and your daily amount of exercise. This integrated approach to providing wrist pain relief helps determine the best treatment. To help identify the cause of wrist pain, we discuss your symptoms, previous injuries, your family health history, and your lifestyle including recreational- and work-related physical activities.
We are uniquely qualified to restore the health of your spine, neck and extremities. Special chiropractic adjustments may relieve the pressure that is the cause of wrist pain. These adjustments can help restore alignment, improve mobility, relieve stiffness and provide wrist pain relief.
We may recommend other types of treatment for providing wrist pain relief which may include moist heat, ice packs, massage, electrical stimulation, bracing to reduce symptoms by resting the wrist muscles and tendons, or stretching and strengthening exercises. We can discuss these with you.
Elite Sports Medicine offers five chiropractic clinics that treat wrist pain in Los Angeles County: Woodland Hills, Los Angeles (LAX), Lancaster, Montebello, and Duarte.